container image

[ Contact Us ]

Need Help? Calling from a mobile please call 0151 647 7556

0800 195 4926

Do you have a question? or need help?

Customer Service Lines Open Mon-Fri 9am-6pm, Closed Saturday & Sunday & Bank Holidays

0800 195 4926

Customer Service Lines Open Mon-Fri 9am-6pm

Frequently Asked Questions | Total Loss Gap

We have listed the most often asked questions so you can make an informed choice. 

If you have a question you don't find the answer to below, visit our Help Centre or contact a member of the team.

Gap Insurance -some quick Q&A's


Is Gap Insurance optional or compulsory?


Gap Insurance is a completely optional product. You do not have to buy it if you do not want it.

Will Gap Insurance cover a blown engine or gearbox?


No. This type of insurance can only be claimed if the motor insurer writes off the vehicle. This can be after an accident, fire, flood or theft. A blown engine is something you would look to get a warranty direct to cover.

Will Gap Insurance cover an incident that has already happened?


No. You can only claim for incidents that happen after the policy starts. You cannot have a crash, then buy cover and then make a successful claim.

Or you could not have a crash, buy a policy before the motor insurer has officially written the car off, then expect to make a claim if they do.

Who is covered by a Gap policy?


Normally the main policyholder and named drivers on the motor insurance would be covered. Drivers must be fully comprehensively insured. See more at 'Who should be the GAP Insurance policy holder'

Does Gap Insurance cover theft with keys?


Every Gap policy we have ever seen would cover you if the vehicle was stolen following the theft of keys. However, it would be reliant on the motor insurer also covering you. If the keys were stolen because you were negligent (e.g. if you leave the keys in the ignition and leave the vehicle) then the motor insurer will not cover you. Neither will the Gap cover.

If someone breaks into your house, steals the keys and then the car then your motor insurer should cover that. If that is the case then your Gap cover should be fine too.

What type of vehicles can Gap Insurance cover?


Gap products will differ but generally, cars and light commercials (subject to use) are fine.


Specialist products do exist for motorbikes, motorhomes, heavy goods vehicles and farm vehicles.

Which vehicle uses can be covered with Gap Insurance?


Standard products cover vehicles used for SD&P and to and from a place of work.

Commercial travelling may be excluded, as would vehicles used as a daily rental/hire car.

Specialist cover exists for taxis, courier, chauffeur, and driving school use.

If you would prefer to watch a video to find out the answers to your questions, why not visit our Video 101 section.

Questions asked about us as a provider ...

We understand that when purchasing anything online, you need to gain that reassurance that the company you are buying from are more than reputable.

Top 3 Questions asked about Total Loss Gap

Are we associated to Gap Insurance 123?

Yes, being part of Aequitas Automotive Limited, we have four different brands that each specialise in offering protection for different circumstances. Total Loss Gap has been designed using the feedback give from customers of Gap Insurance 123, Easy Gap and By offering one single combined policy with no upper claim limit, at Total Loss Gap, we really do take all the guess work away.

Where are we based?

We are based on Merseyside and more specifically the financial district, Hamilton Square, overlooking the River Mersey and the Liverpool skyline.  The claims team are a dedicated claims team located more centrally in Sheffield, UK. 

Are the policies protected?

Yes, in every which way. We are regulated by the FCA to provide your policy and the policies themselves are backed by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme in the UK.

If you have a number of small questions, we do have a dedicated online Help Centre or alternatively you can contact a member of our award-winning customer service team on 0800 195 4926 | 0151 647 7556 and any member of the team will be more than happy to assist.