container image
0800 195 4926

Customer Service Lines Open Mon-Fri 9am-6pm

Motor Excess Protection from Total Loss Gap     


When you take out a standard motor insurance policy, you will agree to an excess amount. This is a portion of any claim cost you would be responsible for before the insurer pays the rest. This excess is exactly what a Total Loss Excess Insurance policy is designed to protect.

The excess amount you agree to pay on your motor insurance policy is usually divided into two parts: 

  1. compulsory excess, which is an amount set by the insurer, 
  2. voluntary excess, which is an amount you choose.

The good news is that our Total Loss excess insurance can cover your compulsory and voluntary excess up to the amount you selected.

Motor Excess Insurance, also known 

  • Excess Reimbursement Insurance 
  • Excess Protection Insurance
  • Private Motor Excess Insurance 

A Total Loss Excess Insurance policy can be a cost-effective way to make sure if you need to have a claim on your motor insurance policy, you are not left having to pay it yourself.


Why not compare our excess insurance policies and prices? 

  You can buy excess insurance for cars up to 15 years old  There is no claims waiting period when you renew your excess insurance


Total Loss Gap Excess Insurance Protection can provide cover for customers looking for:

  • Private Motor Excess Insurance
  • Private Motorcycle Excess Insurance


Things to consider when opting for Motor Excess Insurance include:


  1. Policy limits: Different policies may have varying limits on the amount they cover for excess reimbursement. If you want to protect your excess, be sure to choose a policy that aligns with the excess amount in your primary motor insurance.
  2. Claim eligibility: Motor Excess Insurance typically covers claims eligible under your primary motor insurance policy. Ensure you understand both policies' terms and conditions to ensure everything is apparent during the claims process.
  3. Cost: Premiums for Motor Excess Insurance can vary based on factors such as the level of coverage, your driving history, and the excess total you wish to cover. Compare different policies and providers to find the best value for your needs.
  4. Exclusions: Motor Excess Insurance may have specific exclusions like any insurance policy. Read the policy documents carefully to know what situations need to be covered. Standard exclusions include any claims for glass repair or where your motor insurer has not charged your car excess.          


The Total Loss Gap Excess cover can protect the costs of compulsory and voluntary excess claims on your comprehensive motor policy. Prices are inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax and are for an annual policy. 


What does excess insurance cover?                  


Private Motor Excess Insurance comes into play when you need to make a claim. If your claim is successful, your primary motor insurance policy will cover the cost of the claim minus the excess amount. The Motor Excess Insurance then reimburses you for the excess amount you had to pay up to the limit specified in the policy.


This type of Insurance protects against paying a significant excess in the event of a claim, making the claims process less financially burdensome for policyholders. It benefits those with high excess amounts or who want to minimise out-of-pocket expenses when making a claim.


However, it's essential to understand that Motor Excess Insurance does not replace your primary motor insurance policy; it only complements it by covering the excess amount. It is an optional additional policy you can purchase based on your needs and preferences.


Is excess protection worth it?


Like most insurance products, they are considered because they protect against unpredictable financial loss. Excess protection is not compulsory Insurance. Whether you buy a policy or not is up to you.


Motor Excess Insurance provides financial protection by covering the excess deduction you must pay when claiming your primary motor insurance policy. It can make the claims process less financially burdensome and provide peace of mind, especially for those with high excess amounts or who want to minimise out-of-pocket expenses.


However, it is crucial to understand the terms, conditions, and exclusions of both your primary motor insurance policy and the Motor Excess Insurance policy to ensure you have adequate coverage in case of an accident or other claim-worthy events. Always take the time to compare different policies and providers to find the right coverage for your needs and budget.


Critical requirements for a successful Motor Excess Protection claim    

  1. You have fully comprehensive Insurance in place for your motor vehicle.
  2. You make a successful insurance claim on your motor insurance.
  3. You are charged and have paid your policy excess on the claim.
  4. You claim on your motor excess protection cover to back your excess payment within the annual policy limit and claim limit of cover.


An example of a Motor Excess Insurance claim


  1. You have an accident in your car. It is a 'fault' claim, and you make your claim to your motor insurer.
  2. You have a voluntary excess of £250 and a compulsory excess of £250, making a total excess of £500
  3. You have a £500 motor excess policy with a Total Loss GAP.
  4. Your motor insurer assesses your claim, and the cost of the repair is £1250
  5. You pay your £500 excess, and the insurer authorises your repair
  6. You get the receipt of your excess payment and claim on your Motor Excess Insurance policy for the £500 you have spent


FAQs on Motor Excess Insurance protection 


Does the policy cover my compulsory and voluntary excess on my motor insurance?

Yes. The compulsory excess is the amount your motor insurer imposes as your minimum contribution to any claim. You can then pay an additional voluntary excess when you purchase your motor insurance policy. This additional amount is added to your compulsory excess if you make a claim. When you claim your motor insurance, you will be charged the total of your combined compulsory and voluntary excesses. Once you have paid this total, you can then claim this back from your motor excess insurance policy, subject to the claim limit you select on the policy.


How many times can I claim on my Motor Excess Insurance policy?

There is no maximum number of times you can claim on the motor excess insurance policy. However, the amount you claim is limited to the claim limit on your policy. For example, if you have a £1000 motor excess policy, you could claim twice for £500 each time. However, once you have claimed £1000 within the annual period, that is the end of the policy claims available.


If I have a GAP Insurance policy with excess contribution, why do I need Motor Excess Insurance, too?

The motor excess contribution on your GAP Insurance can only be claimed if the vehicle is written off or stolen and as part of a total loss settlement by your motor insurer. Any other situation you may claim on your motor insurance (like a small, repairable bump) where the vehicle is not written off, and you pay your excess can be covered by your Motor Excess Insurance policy.

Also, remember that the motor excess contribution in a GAP claim is limited to £250. A motor excess insurance policy can make up the difference if you have an excess of, say, £500.


How long does the Motor Excess Insurance policy last?

The Motor Excess Insurance policy is an annual policy. It will last until the annual expiry date or when you have reached the maximum claim limit on the policy. If that happens before the yearly expiration, then you can buy a new policy at that point.


Can I renew my Motor Excess Insurance policy?

Yes, you can renew your Motor Excess Insurance policy each year or when your policy reaches the maximum limit for the claims. Upon renewal, you can select a motor excess limit you require for that year.


Is there a waiting period with the Motor Excess Insurance cover?

Yes, when you buy your first Motor Excess Insurance policy from Total Loss GAP, there is a 14-day 'waiting period' on your initial cover. This means you cannot claim within the first 14 days of coverage. This is to deter fraudulent purchases where someone has an accident and then buys the Motor Excess Insurance to cover any potential claim. When you renew your policy, then there is no waiting period.


Can I buy Motor Excess Insurance for an accident that has already happened?

No, the Motor Excess Insurance policy cannot cover an incident that happens before the policy purchase.


Do I pay the excess if it is not my fault?

If you are involved in an accident that is not your fault, you may still initially have to pay the excess bill when you claim your motor insurance policy. However, suppose the other party involved in the accident is found to be at fault, and their insurer accepts liability. In that case, you can typically recover the excess charge from the at-fault party's insurer. Sometimes, your insurance company may waive the excess or deal with the recovery process on your behalf. The method of recovering your excess can vary depending on the specific circumstances of the accident and the level of cooperation from the other party's insurer.

It's important to note that the recovery process might take some time, especially if there are disputes or delays in determining fault. Additionally, recovering your excess may be more challenging if the other party is uninsured or underinsured.

Motor Excess Insurance can provide financial protection in these situations, as it would reimburse you for the excess bill you had to pay up to the limit specified in your car excess insurance policy, regardless of whether you can recover the excess from the at-fault party's insurer.


Are there other types of excess Insurance you can buy other than for a private car?

Yes. You can buy excess cover for several other situations. These include car hire excess insurance, where you look to protect the excess charges applicable if you damage your hired car. You can also find combined excess cover for multiple products. Lifestyle Excess Insurance can often cover excess claims on a personal car, pet, home, and travel insurance under one excess policy.


Is my Motor Excess Insurance policy protected?

Acasta European Insurance Company Ltd underwrites the Motor Excess Insurance policy from Total Loss GAP. Total Loss GAP, a trading style of Aequitas Automotive Ltd, provides the policy.

Aequitas Automotive Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK. Aequitas Automotive Ltd is also a member of the British Insurance Brokers Association. The Financial Services Compensation Scheme and the Financial Ombudsmen Service also cover your policy.


Where can you make an Excess Protection Insurance comparison?

Excess protection Insurance can be purchased from many places. These include your motor insurer, online comparison websites and independent providers like Total Loss Gap.


How long does my excess insurance policy last?

Your excess insurance will last for 12 months or until you have made a claim to the maximum you have protected.


How much will my excess insurance cost?

This will depend on how much you want to protect. For example, it will cost more to protect £1500 than £250.


Can I transfer my excess policy?

Yes, as long as the car is eligible, you can transfer your policy free of charge.


Can I cancel my excess insurance policy?

Yes, you can cancel at any time.


Is the price shown as a one-off payment for the full 12 months?

Yes, the price you are shown is the total cost of your policy.


Can I claim for accidents and damage that have already happened?

Unfortunately, we cannot cover you for accidents and damage before your policy was in place.


Will my policy cover me if I am a Taxi driver?

Unfortunately, we can not cover any form of hire or reward.


Will my policy cover me if I use my car as a driving school vehicle?

No, unfortunately, we do not cover any form of tuition.


With all insurance products, you must consider policy features and the premium. However, with an excess protection policy, the general cover should be similar wherever you look. Premium costs can differ, however.

 Pdf IconExcess Insurance IPID                                      Pdf IconExcess Insurance                

Updated 10/04/2024 , written by Mark Griffiths

  There is a choice of excess claims limits  Buy Excess Insurance from £14.99 per year